For the vegetarian option don't add the Parma ham
Another shout out for my lovely cook book Little and Friday by Kim Evans with this quiche. I like to serve individual tarts for dinner parties so have adapted the recipe. It is more fiddly and time consuming but nice if your platin up. If it is for a buffet table or a family meal, I'd do a 11″/28cm tart pan.
If you make a devine cheesy pastry case you will make this quite special. A Parmesan case is so easy in the Thermomix.
For the pastry you'll need
- 80g Parmesan or gruyère
- 75g unsalted butter cubed and popped into freezer for 30 minutes
- 230g plain flour
- 1 tsp each dry mustard powder and paprika
- 1 egg yolk and enough iced water to bind
- Salt and ground pepper
Throw the cheese onto running blades to at speed 9 until well ground. Tip out while you turbo pulse the flour, mustard, smoked paprika, seasoning to fine crumbs. Add the cheese and mix. Bind together using turbo pulse with egg yolk and iced water. Refrigerate. Roll and line one large or 10 small tart tins. Refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes ( if your stuck for time pop into freezer for a shorter time)
For the filling
- 1 tin of solid packed pumpkin (or cube the flesh of a pumpkin and bake)
- 1 250g pack of baby spinach or mix of rocket and spinach
- 125 g of Parmesan or Gruyère ( I would mix it depending on what you have put in your pastry)
- 150g crumbled goats cheese ( didn't have any so used sheeps which didn't crumble so well)
- 10 large eggs and 80ml cream whisked together
Grind the cheese in the Thermomix and cover pastry base with the cheese. Lay the spinach on top -if you are making individual tarts I would chop the spinach roughly. Spread with the pumpkin. I spread the base with pumpkin but I think it will dampen down the spinach to do it with pumpkin on top of spinach. Crumble goats cheese over pumpkin and pour over the seasoned eggs and cream.
Pop into a 180°C oven for about 45 minutes until filling set. In the aga cook on floor of roasting oven for 15 minutes then pop in cold shelf or move to baking oven for remained of time.Small tarts will take less time.
I had a senior moment with these – hence the photos looking terrible ( they taste good!) I popped the tarts into the aga looked at the counter top and saw the crumbled cheese! Hence it was thrown on the top and looks a bit brown!