Farmers’ markets

I have been travelling recently so home bakes have been out of the question. Now that all the travel gremlins – in the guise of French baggage handlers, open skies airline, Amtrak cardinal delays, dollar car rental fiasco, and Chicago April freezing snow- are behind me it's time for a posting.

Mixed eggs from speciality hens

The sun is shining in phoenix and all is again right with the world. The Saturday farmers' market at Gilbert is a favourite and I want to give a shout out for a couple of products.

This iced tea infuser is producing the most wonderful tea. As a Brit I have found it hard to acquire the American love of iced tea – now I will be evangelising about what this infuser can produce. You add filtered water straight from the tap,put tea of your choice into the basket, place in fridge and after several hours you have the most amazing unsweetened tea. The tea leaves can then be used for a refil in the jug- honestly!

Scottsdale has a much bigger farmers' market- of course! The matcha mix above is delicious – either as a porridge or ground in the Thermomix as the base for a smoothie.

Happy Easter from the bunnies!

19 Comments Add yours

1. Dawn says:

Hi Ann! I love our midwest farmers’ markets, too. My parents live in Mesa, in the foothills of Red Mountain. It’s always fun to visit the desert in the Springtime. They always come to visit us in the Summertime. Love your blog!

1. vannillarock says:

Thank you, dawn. Thanks for stopping by, too. Farmers markets are always a great source of local talent.

2. cheergerm says:

I love me a farmers market as well. looks great. 🙂

1. vannillarock says:

Thank you! It has grown into a really nice collection over the past few years and at this time of year (before the summer HEAT) is gorgeous. Thanks for visiting.

3. Add me to the list of people who love Farmers’ Markets. Fun post– glad I found your blog…

1. vannillarock says:

Thank you so much!

4. y. prior says:

fun post – and I was wondering if you know why the colors of the eggs turn out that way – is it the feather sod the hen? just curious because my son and I were just talking about this…. well about brown eggs – and then your post showed all those cool colors…

🙂

1. vannillarock says:

Thank you. It’s my understanding that the different colours are the test of the different breeds of hen producing different pigments which colour the shell as it passes though the hen. This certainly the reason American eggs are soooo white. The thing I had to get used to as a baker was the fact that supermarket eggs in America are stored in the chiller while in the UK they are just stacked on a shelf. 99% of time you want an egg at room temperature for best results in baking. Thanks for stopping by. I guess a google search will give your son all the scientific reasons behind the hues 🙂

1. y. prior says:

well thanks for taking the time to reply – and yeah, he can look it up – he already said that youtube is like a third parent! ha!

anyhow, thanks for the tip on the room temp eggs – and I loved your bunnies – and their greeting. Also, not all of us Americans loved iced tea – 😉 – but you are right – so many do!!!! 🙂
        I like your blog!

2. vannillarock says:

I really appreciate your visiting and hope you come visit again. YouTube as third parent- love that 🙂 Anne

3. vannillarock says:

Smiley face indeed! Thanks for stopping by.

5. I love farmers markets but never seem to get there in time for the fresh eggs 😦

1. vannillarock says:

I know what you mean. On this morning my husband said there were quails eggs at the stall but by the time I got there they were all gone 😦 thanks for stopping by!

6. sueslaght says:

It sounds like you have been on quite the adventure! I am intrigued. Will we hear more about such things as care rental fiascos? Just wondering if those bunnies are edible? 🙂

1. vannillarock says:

Hahaha didn’t spot the typo – substitute well known CAR rental company at a Chicago airport with NO cars- interesting huh? Then the charmless accusing me of having attitude!!!!

1. sueslaght says:

Yikes that is always a serious problem. Ugh!

2. vannillarock says:

Bunnies not edible- they wouldn’t survive the 90°+ we are having in phoenix at moment

1. sueslaght says:

Hard to imagine those temperatures but can appreciate chocolate bunnies would not do well in them!

i'd love to hear from you...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s