This yummy soda bread is based on a recipe by Lorraine Pascale, but I have adapted it in the Thermomix. Soda bread is probably the easiest bread for a novice baker or those who (wrongly) 'fear' the whole yeasted bread process.
- 370g/13oz plain/all purpose flour
- 120g/4oz wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g/2oz unsalted melted butter
- 1 tablespoon black treacle – this isn't always easy to find in US, but I guess molasses would work
- 340ml buttermilk (organic flour and wholemeal flours require more liquid so add 300ml and add more if mixture still too dry)
Tip all the ingredients into the TM bowl and mix speed 4 for 10 seconds. Mix on dough setting for a minute until well combined.
The traditional preparation of soda bread for the oven is to make a disc and make indentations with the handle of a wooden spoon, as shown.
Pop into a preheated oven 200°C/400°F for a about 35 minutes.