Apricot vanilla loaf

215g unsalted butter, melted

280g buttermilk

100g sugar

50g soft light brown sugar

90g maple sugar

2 eggs

370g flour ( used a combination of plain and spelt)

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

Zest of a lemon

220g chopped fresh apricots

Seeds of a vanilla pod

Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C

Prepare a loaf tin. I used a 14″x4″/35cm/10cm but you could use a 9″x5″

Method

Whisk together the dry ingredients, flour(s), salt, baking powder, baking soda, and lemon zest sp3 for 30 seconds. Tip out and reserve

Melt butter at 50° before adding the sugars, maple syrup, eggs and buttermilk, vanilla pod seeds. Blend well sp 4

Add the flour mixture on sp 4

Add the chopped apricots, either folding in by hand or using reverse blade action for 1 minute or less.

Empty into prepared loaf tin

Bake at 180°C or lower Aga for 40-45 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.

Leave to cool in loaf pan.

Don't try to slice before completely cool ( even though the smell will make you want to!)

A loaf like this is so quick and easy-no yeast and therefore no waiting for first and second proof. You can easily switch things around substituting different fruit, chocolate chips, nut, herbs. As ever if you want to use alternative flours, play around with that. The New York bakery Ovenly, from whose recipe this is adapted for weight, and Thermomix, suggest cardomen and raspberries – yum!

Happy baking!

Anne

10 Comments Add yours

1. prior says:

looks good – and the apricots sound tasty 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. vannillarock says:

thanks for that kind comment. i must admit that i don’t often use apricots but when i do i wonder why i don’t!!

Liked by 1 person

1. prior says:

well I have only had them in baked goods once – and it was amazing – some muffins from a local health food store – and they were still hot when we bought them – so the apricots had a slight pop

Liked by 1 person

2. vannillarock says:

I have had one go to dish for apricots, the classic French tarte aux abricot, so I’m pleased to find a quicker alternative. Thanks for commenting.

Liked by 1 person

2. Amy says:

Yummmy! I love this recipe! 🙂

3. Nancy says:

This looks soooooooooo tasty! I can smell the fresh scent of apricots. Oh… I will have to try this!

Liked by 1 person

1. vannillarock says:

Thank you Nancy – it was gone before I had time to blink!

4. Tina Schell says:

Oh my Anne – that looks good enough to eat 😄 My husband is a wonderful baker, I’m sending this one to him in the hope he’ll take the hint!

Liked by 2 people

5. This look s amazing! I’ve never baked with apricots before, but this looks so good, I might have to try it out!

Liked by 1 person

1. vannillarock says:

hi bethany! fresh apricots are wonderful in tarts -tarte aux abricots- is a favourite. if you do try let me know 🙂
      i appreciate the ‘follow’ -thank you!
      anne

Liked by 1 person

i'd love to hear from you...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w