Last night's final of the Great British Bake Off – *hashtag* GBBO – saw the charming and talented Nadiya carry off the glory of winning. She has fast become the nation's baking sweetheart and when Mary Berry choked up many of the 14m+ viewers were reaching for the tissues- I know it wasn't just me as Twitter was wet with emotional bakers!!
For those who didn't watch the final ( I believe an American version will hit the US next year) the remit of the showstopper was a traditional English cake iced and decorated anyway you like. Nadiya baked lemon drizzle cakes and iced them with marshmallow frosting, then festooned the cakes with irredescent blue Sari material to bring her Bangladeshi background to the fore.
I make lemon drizzle cake a lot but have just realised I don't have a recipe on the blog. This one is lifted lock stock and barrel from the old Thermomix TM3 Fast and Easy Cooking and to be honest it is hard to beat. I have given the Thermomix instructions but any of you could use these ingredients to make it in a stand mixer.
Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 160g sugar
- Thinly pared zest of 1-2 lemons
- 20g Thermomix vanilla sugar (optional)
- 130g unsalted, softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 180g self raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 60g milk
- For the lemon drizzle- 100g icing sugar and 70g lemon juice
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 180°C/365°F/lower baking oven Aga ( or roasting oven with cold shelf)
- Prepare a 600g loaf tin or bake in mini loaf pans. This mixture made 4 mini loaves.
- If using Thermomix make your own icing sugar for the 'drizzle'. Grind grind 30 seconds Sp 10. Set aside.
- For the cake batter
- Grind 160g sugar with lemon peelings 20 seconds sp 10
- Add 20 g of vanilla sugar (if using)
- If your butter needs softening tip out lemony sugar while you soften butter on 50° sp3. Time will vary depending on how cold your butter is.
- Place butterfly whisk into TM bowl and whisk butter and sugar sp4 for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- With whisk running sp4 add the eggs through the lid.
- Reduce speed to 3 and add flour and salt gradually through lid. Don't overbeat.
- Scrape down sides
- Add milk
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or 20 minutes for mini loaves.
- Heat the lemon juice and (set aside) 100gicing sugar in TM bowl 90° for about 2 minutes, sp2 (alternatively dissolve sugar in lemon juice on stove. )
- Check cake(s) for doneness
- Pour warm lemon sugar over warm cake(s)
- Leave cake in tin until cool
Wednesday evenings are not the same without the weekly bake off fix- commiserations if you feel the same way. Time for YOU to bake 🙂
Thanks for visiting.