A very simple way to ring the changes with this simple milk bread is to make your own pesto or just buy a jar. After the first rise roll into a large rectangle and spread the pesto evenly. Roll and twist or simply roll and place on a baking sheet in a circle. Rise again and bake for 25 minutes 200°C/400°F
This is the basic milk bread from the TM5 basic cookbook. The big difference between this and brioche is of course eggs. The texture of this bread is wonderful and if you like brioche you will like this bread. It is also easy to plait, roll, shape any which way.
Make this in a Thermomix or mix with a dough hook in a stand mixer. The basic recipe is
milk bread with a pesto twist
- 300g milk
- 50g unsalted butter
- 10g instant dried yeast
- 550g strong bread flour
- 30g honey
- 7g salt
- 1 jar red pesto ( alternatively make your own)
- 1 beaten egg for brushing a glaze
- Grated Parmesan (optional)
- Heat the milk, butter until it reaches 37°
- Add the yeast for another 30 seconds on 37°
- Scale the flour, salt, and honey into TM bowl and mix on dough setting for 3 minutes
- Leave in TM bowl in a warm place until doubled in size. Alternatively if you will need the bowl tip into a large bowl and cover.
- When doubled in size (about and hour) tip out onto a mat and roll into a large rectangle.
- Spread the red pesto to cover evenly.
- Roll up and shape. Place on baking tray.
- Leave to rise again.
- Brush with beaten egg before baking in preheated oven. I grated Parmesan cheese on top, too.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/ 400°F
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Transfer to cooling rack
Happy baking !