Summer may finally have arrived in the UK!
To celebrate, here is a beautifully light and simple take on a plain sponge adapted from the lovely Thermomix book ‘Sweet’
elderflower and lemon curd sponge
Credit: Thermomix ‘sweet ‘
Prepare (spray) and line 2 23cm/9″ cake pans
- 230g unsalted/softened butter
- 230g caster sugar
- 30g st germain elderflower liqueur (elderflower cordial if you don’t want to use alcohol )
- 4 large eggs
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 quantity do TM lemon curd using 1 lemon (zest and 45g juice), 75g sugar, 2 eggs and 50g butter
- 100g icing sugar and 20g st germain for icing
-230g self raising flour
- Preheat oven 180°C
- Beat softened butter and sugar 20 seconds,speed 4. Scrape down side of bowl
- insert butterfly whisk, add elderflower, flower, eggs, baking powder, baking soda. Mix 30 seconds, speed 3
- Scrape sides of bowl, mix 40 seconds, speed 4
- Remove whisk, divide evenly between prepared pans, bake for 25 minutes in preheated oven
- Check for done ness and leave to cool on wire rock before filling with lemon curd and covering with elderflower icing.
I sprinkled with crystallised violets.